Love is in the air--and it stinks!
Leonarda (Susan Graham, flute; Claire Smith, violin; Arnie Tanimoto, gamba;
Nancy Kito, harpsichord) will present a program entitled "Damn! Love Is Just a
Four-Letter Word" on Sunday, February 21, 2016, at the French Church du St.
Esprit, 109 East 60th Street, New York City. The program features music of
Telemann, Purcell, Monteclair and Monteverdi exploring stories of love gone
wrong. Tickets are $20; students and seniors $15. For further information about
this concert and the rest of Ensemble Leonarda's season, please visit
Harpsichordist Nancy Kito, a founding member, explains: “Let’s face it, the
path to love is never smooth. The really interesting, juicy stories are about
thwarted love, unrequited love and love gone wrong. Guinevere and King Arthur,
fine, but the Guinevere and Lancelot story is much more interesting.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Make Music New York Winter takes place on December 21. For details, visit makemusicny.org/winter-2015/. And this year, there are three opportunities that require singers. For details, visit the Info Exchange. (2015-12-2)
- The Washington Heights Choir School (WHCS), an outreach ministry of Holyrood Episcopal Church in the upper Manhattan neighborhood of Washington Heights, has announced the hiring of its new music director, Ellen Wright. Currently the Dean of the Brooklyn Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, Ms. Wright has served as organist and director of music in several churches in the greater New York area as well as creator/teacher of music programs for elementary and secondary school students in New York and Long Island. The Washington Heights Choir School trains children from Kindergarten to 5th grade to achieve early excellence and growth through music and arts education. For more information, visit holyroodchurch.com/ministries/choir-school/. (2015-9-12)
- John Scott. Organist and Director of Music at Saint Thomas Church, died suddenly on August 12. Read a tribute at www.saintthomaschurch.org/about/news/342/john-scott-1956-2015. See also the obituary in The New York Times. (2015-8-14)
- Read a review of June's ChoralFest USA 2015 event by Jean Ballard Terepka on TheaterScene.net. (2015-8-12)
- Hudson Chorale is pleased to announce the appointment of Conductor Ira Spaulding as its new Interim Music Director. Spaulding will be replacing Music Director Michael Conley, who has accepted a post as Director of Music Ministries at Calvary Presbyterian Church in Pacific Heights, California. For more information, visit www.HudsonChorale.org. (2015-8-11)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- January 15, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Long Island Consort, a Chinese-American choir based in Little Neck.
- October 27, 2015: New Choir Directory listing for Grassroots Harmony, an activist community choir based in Crown Heights.
- October 22, 2015: In the interest of keeping the Info Exchange as fresh as possible, the default duration for ads has been reduced from three months to two months. Longer or shorter durations remain available upon request.
- October 15, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Fieldston Choral Society, an SATB choir on the Upper West Side.
- September 12, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Kachanov Ensemble, a newly-forming professional chamber choir directed by Nikolai Kachanov. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Christ Church Bordentown Choir in Bordentown, NJ.
- September 10, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Harmonic Insurgence, an a cappella vocal ensemble in Brooklyn.
- September 3, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Elision Vocal Ensemble, based on the Upper West Side.
- August 31, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Church of St. Teresa of Avila Choir in Summit, NJ.
- August 20, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Choral Society of The Moriches.
- July 22, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Brooklyn Sweet Adelines Chorus.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.