Youth chorus joins Cecilia Chorus of New York onstage at Carnegie Hall
December 13 at 8:00 PM, under the baton of Music Director Mark Shapiro, the
Cecilia Chorus of New York and orchestra will welcome the young singers from the
Every Voice Concert Choir (Dr. Nicole Becker, Director) to sing together Vaughan
Williams’s Hodie, A Christmas Cantata at Carnegie Hall. The soloists
will be soprano Liv Redpath, tenor Daniel T. Curran and baritone Takaoki Onishi.
Also on the evening’s program will be Poulenc’s Gloria.
The Every Voice Concert Choir is one of three Every Voice Choirs, ensembles
in residence at Columbia University Teachers College.
Melodia Women's Choir presents a holiday concert, a new recording and a gift bazaar
I will lie down in autumn
let birds be flying
Swept in a hollow by the wind
-- In Autumn, music by Gwyneth Walker, poetry by May Swenson
As the birds fly and grass and leaves turn, it is once again time for the
Melodia Women’s Choir holiday concert -- an autumn tradition since 2004, when New
York City’s premier choir for female voices first debuted on the choral scene. A hallmark of any Melodia concert from the past decade is the choir’s
emphasis on searching out rare and unique pieces, taking programmatic risks, and
featuring women composers, lyricists, musicians and performers from across the
musical spectrum. This season’s concert “Windsong” is no different, as the choir
highlights the music of composer Gwyneth Walker, performing her setting of May
Swenson’s poem In Autumn.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Read "Is Faith Required to Perform Sacred Classical Music," an article by Brian Wise and Naomi Lewin, at www.wqxr.org/#!/story/faith-required-perform-sacred-classical-music/. (2014-11-30)
- Essential Voices USA, conducted by Judith Clurman, has released a new CD entitled Cherished Moments: Songs of the Jewish Spirit. The recording, featuring soloists Ron Raines, Bruce Ruben and Michael Slattery, introduces exciting arrangements of traditional songs that represent the Jewish holidays and life-cycle events. For more information, visit www.judithclurman.com. (2014-11-5)
- Ryan Brandau is the new artistic director of Amor Artis. (2014-7-3)
- Jolle Greenleaf and Donald Meineke direct the Early Music Festival NYC, running June 13-19, 2014. For details, visit www.emfnyc.org. (2014-5-7)
- C4: The Choral Composer/Conductor Collective has received the 2014 Chorus America/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming. This is the first time they have received this honor. The Adventurous Programming awards recognize choruses that demonstrate a sustained commitment to adventurous programming through performances of choral music written in the last 25 years.Read more about the award at www.chorusamerica.org/news/2014-chorus-america-award-recipients-announced. (2014-5-7)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- December 12, 2014: We've added titles to the ad listings in the Info Exchange to make them easier to scan.
- November 15, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Urban Kantorei, a mixed-voice choir based in midtown Manhattan.
- October 21, 2014: New Choir Directory listing for the Brooklyn Interdenominational Choir.
- September 8, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Village Chorus for Children and Youth, based in the East Village.
- September 3, 2014: New Choir Directory listing for Hudson Opera Theatre, based in Sugar Loaf, NY.
- August 31, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Young Voyces, a treble youth choir in Staten Island.
- August 26, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for NJWOMENSONG, a women's choir based in Hunterdon County, NJ.
- August 25, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The College of Saint Rose Women's Chorale, based in Albany, NY.
- August 19, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Glen Ridge Congregational Church Chancel Choir in Glen Ridge, NJ.
- August 15, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Melodia Singers, a newly-formed women's ensemble in Basking Ridge, NJ.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, New York City's free database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.