Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church (CAPC), one of New Jersey’s most beautiful and historic churches, is pleased to announce the appointment of Deborah Simpkin King as its new Interim Director of Music. In addition, Dr. King will serve as the Artistic Director of the church-sponsored Crescent Concerts Series, a multi-disciplinary presentation of vocal, instrumental, choral and orchestral music events for the residents of Plainfield and the surrounding communities. (2017-8-13)
- The Ember Ensemble, which will be presenting the East Coast premiere of John Muehleisen’s oratorio, But Who Shall Return Us Our Children – A Kipling Passion, in November, is opening its read-through of the work on Monday evening, July 31, to the public, free of charge. For details, see the Concert Calendar. (2017-7-28)
- Musical America has an article by Kent Tritle on what it takes to be a professional choral singer. (2017-7-15)
- Lincoln Center's White Light Festival, running from October 18 through November 15, will feature performances of settings of all 150 biblical psalms, by 150 composers, in "The Psalms Experience." See the article in The New York Times. (2017-6-21)
- Sad to report that In Transit, the a cappella musical, will have its final performances on Sunday, April 16. Worth seeing, if you have the opportunity. It's well-sung, with an appealing, energetic cast and a lot of in-the-know commentary about life in New York. (2017-4-15)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- August 13, 2017: The Bella Voce Singers will now be known as BVS Women's Choir. New Choir Directory listing for the Kips Bay Chorale.
- July 19, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Inspire, a Manhattan-based chamber choir that seeks to promote unity through the choral arts.
- June 21, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Ember, the new name for the Schola Cantorum on Hudson ensemble. New link for Singerhood, offering a platform for mobile devices that guides students and amateurs to develop their choir singing skills through high-quality part recordings
of the choral repertoire.
- June 8, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Long Island Harmonizers, a barbershop chorus based in Westbury, NY.
- May 15, 2017: New link for Tobacco Free Life, offering a page about smoking and singing.
- May 5, 2017: New link for VAN Magazine, a
subscription-based fanzine covering contemporary, classical and early music. The magazine is named after Ludwig van Beethoven and is not affiliated in any way with Vocal Area Network.
- May 3, 2017: New link for Musicaroo, Camila
Rabin's resource site for beginning singers, violinists and
- March 31, 2017: New Choir Directory listing for Key of Q, an LGBTQ a cappella chorus in Kingston, NY.
- March 21, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Sonaré, Continuo Arts Foundation's year-long Young Artist Program, based in Summit, NJ.
- February 27, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Stamford Chorale.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.