Choirs by Locale
Submit concert listings
Chorus America's national
study, released February 2003, finds 28.5 million Americans singing in
choruses and estimates the number of choruses in the US to be 250,000.
Help spread the word!
Download, print and distribute the VAN Card from our
Spread the Word page.
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor.
- Ryan Brandau is the new artistic director of Amor Artis. (2014-7-3)
- Jolle Greenleaf and Donald Meineke direct the Early Music Festival NYC, running June 13-19, 2014. For details, visit www.emfnyc.org. (2014-5-7)
- C4: The Choral Composer/Conductor Collective has received the 2014 Chorus America/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming. This is the first time they have received this honor. The Adventurous Programming awards recognize choruses that demonstrate a sustained commitment to adventurous programming through performances of choral music written in the last 25 years.Read more about the award at www.chorusamerica.org/news/2014-chorus-america-award-recipients-announced. (2014-5-7)
- The New York Virtuoso Singers and Harold Rosenbaum have received the 2014 Chorus America/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming. This is the fourth time NYVS and Rosenbaum have received this honor. Read more about the awards at www.chorusamerica.org/news/2014-chorus-america-award-recipients-announced. (2014-4-30)
- Cantabile Chamber Chorale artistic director Rebecca Scott and others were interviewed by correspondent Bill Nutt for an article in the New Jersey Courier News and Home News Tribune. Read about Cantabile's April 26 concert celebrating New Jersey's 350th anniversary. (2014-4-10)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- July 15, 2014: New Choir Directory listing for the Wyandanch Youth Center Chorus, a partnership of Usdan Center and the Family
Life Center/Wyandanch Youth Center.
- July 14, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Zelo, a vocal chamber ensemble based at Drew University in Madison, NJ.
- June 12, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Middle Community Chorus, based at Middle Collegiate Church in the East Village.
- June 3, 2014: New Choir Directory listing for No Strings A Cappella, a mixed vocal ensemble in Sussex County, NJ.
- May 23, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Chancel Choir of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church in Plainfield, NJ.
- May 3, 2014: Rutgers Collegium Musicum is now Collegium Musicum, an independent early music ensemble.
- April 22, 2014: A tasty new link for Cooking A Cappella, featuring cooking classes with a musical twist, hosted by tenor-composer-chef Lawrence Rush.
- March 28, 2014: New link for Forte music notation software.
- March 19, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Long Island Children's Choir.
- March 11, 2014: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Giving Voice, a women's a cappella ensemble in Lincroft, NJ.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, New York City's free database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
VAN gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
SILVER: Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.