Career jolt for Steve Friedman
Friedman, wearer of many hats, is wearing one fewer today, as his sales
engineering position at Atos was eliminated on
Friday, July 19 as part of a restructuring of the IT services company’s Unified
Communications and Collaboration unit.
Friedman, founder and operator of Vocal Area Network since the organization’s
inception in 1995, sings bass with the professional octet at St. Michael’s
Church and with the Nikolai Kachanov Singers, and supports his wife Julie
Siegmund’s jewelry design business--Carnelian
Knoll--with technical and schlepping services. He’s the father of two--a son
about to start his sophomore year in college and a daughter who’s a rising high
school junior--and he’s composed and arranged
music for choirs and vocal
Music and technology have always been complementary elements in his career.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- September 10, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Lux Mea Women's Chorus, based on the Upper West Side.
- August 31, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Montclair Community Chorus
- August 27, 2019: Some enhancements for the Choir Directory. We've added tags to more clearly indicate youth choirs and choirs that require no auditions. And you can now more easily filter on those criteria, too.
- August 27, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The KSVS Voice Ensemble, based in midtown.
- August 25, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Canitcum Novum Youth Choir, a group for kids 8-18 based in South Salem, NY.
- August 18, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Angel Choir, based in Greenwich, CT.
- July 24, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Music on the Hill, based in Wilton, CT.
- May 20, 2019: New VAN QuickLink for Sounds Choral, broadcast on WWFM.
- April 30, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Here to Sing, a non-audition pop/rock community choir in Manhattan.
- April 25, 2019: New link for Singing A Cappella at Home, a HomeAdvisor (!) tutorial with an interesting collection of a cappella resources.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, Cantori New York, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.