Melodia Women's Choir offers a little bit of Latin and a whole lot of "¡Alegría! (Joy)"
“I’ve loved Latin American music since I was a child,” said Cynthia Powell,
Melodia Women’s Choir of NYC’s Artistic Director and Conductor who will lead
Melodia Women’s Choir of NYC in "¡Alegría! (Joy!)", a program devoted entirely
to Latin and Latin American-inspired music on November 21 and 22.
Performed entirely in Spanish, the program is anchored by Conrad Susa’s
popular Carols and Lullabies, Christmas in the Southwest. Though the
pieces for voice, harp and marimba are uniquely of Southwest America, they draw
on musical traditions from Puerto Rico to Mexico, Catalonia to Andalusia, and
are at turns sweet and lively. Joining the choir for the well-loved series of
songs is Elaine Christy on harp, Samantha Wells on guitar and Ingrid Gordon on
Florilegium Chamber Choir celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2015-16
Florilegium Chamber Choir begins celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2015 with two upcoming
concerts entitled “Wholly Mozart” at Trinity Lutheran Church (full program) and the
St. John the Divine (selections) on November 22 and December 13,
Manhattan-based ensemble formed in 1976 under the imaginative directorship of
Rice, before several of today’s Florilegium Chamber Choir members were even
started with about twenty dedicated young singers coming together for Sunday
the upstairs choir room of Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church on East 22nd Street.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The Washington Heights Choir School (WHCS), an outreach ministry of Holyrood Episcopal Church in the upper Manhattan neighborhood of Washington Heights, has announced the hiring of its new music director, Ellen Wright. Currently the Dean of the Brooklyn Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, Ms. Wright has served as organist and director of music in several churches in the greater New York area as well as creator/teacher of music programs for elementary and secondary school students in New York and Long Island. The Washington Heights Choir School trains children from Kindergarten to 5th grade to achieve early excellence and growth through music and arts education. For more information, visit holyroodchurch.com/ministries/choir-school/. (2015-9-12)
- John Scott. Organist and Director of Music at Saint Thomas Church, died suddenly on August 12. Read a tribute at www.saintthomaschurch.org/about/news/342/john-scott-1956-2015. See also the obituary in The New York Times. (2015-8-14)
- Read a review of June's ChoralFest USA 2015 event by Jean Ballard Terepka on TheaterScene.net. (2015-8-12)
- Hudson Chorale is pleased to announce the appointment of Conductor Ira Spaulding as its new Interim Music Director. Spaulding will be replacing Music Director Michael Conley, who has accepted a post as Director of Music Ministries at Calvary Presbyterian Church in Pacific Heights, California. For more information, visit www.HudsonChorale.org. (2015-8-11)
- After four months of job hunting, Vocal Area Network host Steve Friedman has been rehired (surprise!) by the company that eliminated his position back in April. Go figure! Thanks to all who offered career suggestions during the interregnum. (2015-8-4)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- October 27, 2015: New Choir Directory listing for Grassroots Harmony, an activist community choir based in Crown Heights.
- October 22, 2015: In the interest of keeping the Info Exchange as fresh as possible, the default duration for ads has been reduced from three months to two months. Longer or shorter durations remain available upon request.
- October 15, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Fieldston Choral Society, an SATB choir on the Upper West Side.
- September 12, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Kachanov Ensemble, a newly-forming professional chamber choir directed by Nikolai Kachanov. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Christ Church Bordentown Choir in Bordentown, NJ.
- September 10, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Harmonic Insurgence, an a cappella vocal ensemble in Brooklyn.
- September 3, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Elision Vocal Ensemble, based on the Upper West Side.
- August 31, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Church of St. Teresa of Avila Choir in Summit, NJ.
- August 20, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Choral Society of The Moriches.
- July 22, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Brooklyn Sweet Adelines Chorus.
- May 31, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Downtown Voices, a new semi-professional choir based at Trinity Wall Street.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.