Spem in Alium: A phoenix at forty
On a hot and windy night in 1971 a blaze, possibly begun by an arson attack,
struck up on what we now call the corner of West 11th Street and Waverly
Place. The fire consumed the 19th century Greek-revival church on that corner,
which had been the home of the Episcopal congregation of St. John’s in the
Village since the 1850s.
There was much debate as whether or not to rebuild a church on this site,
given the high value of the real estate in that part of Greenwich Village, even
in the 1970s. But, arising like a phoenix from its own ashes, St. John’s Church
was rebuilt by a pupil of Frank Lloyd Wright, local architect Edgar Tafel.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The Ember ensemble of Schola Cantorum on Hudson has named composer and performing artist Cheryl Engelhardt as its Composer-in-Residence for the 2018-19 concert season. This is the first time the noted semi-professional ensemble, led by Artistic Director, founder and conductor Deborah Simpkin King, has named a composer to the position for an entire season. (2018-10-3)
- The New York Choral Consortium's Fall Programs Day on Saturday, October 13 features sessions with Kent Tritle, Ronnie Oliver, Jr., Mark Schnaible, Alexis Martin and Jacob Levine. For details, visit www.newyorkchoralconsortium.org/events. (2018-10-2)
- See the New York Times article about David Lang's upcoming Mile-Long Opera, to be performed by 1,000 singers October 3-8 along the High Line. (2018-9-29)
- The board of Choral Chameleon and founding artistic director Vince Peterson have announced the appointment of Dale Trumbore as Composer-in-Residence for 2018-2019. Dale Trumbore will be the fifth composer since the company was founded in 2008 to have the opportunity to spend a year writing for the New York City-based company’s community of adventurous professional and avocational singers, adding to Choral Chameleon’s extensive repertoire of over 150 commissions and premieres. For more about Choral Chameleon's CIR programme, a biography of Trumbore and access to a long-form interview with Vince Peterson and the composer about the appointment, visit www.choralchameleon.com/composer-in-residence.html. (2018-9-26)
- KHORIKOS, the acclaimed a cappella ensemble focused on bringing clarity and soul to early and new choral music, is happy to announce the upcoming
release of three new albums. These recordings will include an eclectic, emotional mix of early and new music, including an EP of rare motets from the Renaissance composer Josquin des Prez. To learn more or contribute to this exciting project, visit igg.me/at/khorikos/x/9028284. (2018-9-7)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- October 16, 2018: Several new links in the Links Collection for ticketing and donor management services and a new link for chorus management (though that company is based in Vancouver). Thanks to Jacob Levine of Chorus Connection, who offered these resources during his presentation at the Programs Day run by the New York Choral Consortium this past Saturday.
- September 14, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for St. Paul's Chapel Choir, a new choir forming at Trinity Wall Street.
- September 6, 2018: New link for ChoralNation, connecting the world's choral community with organization and event listings.
- September 5, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Trinity Choir--Staten Island.
- August 12, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Kent Singers, a choir of 30+ singers based in Kent, CT.
- July 31, 2018: Listings for the Greater Middletown Chorale can now be found under GMChorale.
- July 15, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the North Shore Chamber Choir, based in Setauket.
- April 26, 2018: New checkboxes for the Choir Directory allow you to filter the list by locale and rehearsal night and, for the first time, to find choirs that don't require auditions.
- April 9, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Sing Choruses in Public, a midtown-based chorus specializing in the works of Gilbert & Sullivan.
- March 29, 2018: New link for The Vocal Company, offering services to make your a cappella better.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.