Down Town Glee Club: A Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Massed male voices have long been a feature of the choral world, and the
venerable Down Town Glee Club, one of five such remaining clubs left in New York
City, has been preserving this esteemed tradition for 90 years. This edition of
the group’s twice-yearly performances celebrated the power of love in its many
forms. Entitled "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," audience members were treated
to an hour of songs ranging from Great American Songbook standards to modern
Twenty singers were first heard before being seen, entering with a rousing
“The Singers Salutation,” followed by a procession to the stage and a launch
into the standard, “I Get a Kick Out of You.” The tradition of the glee club
began in seventeenth century England, with the singing of short songs called
“glees” by trios or quartets. While the “glee” has passed into history, the Down
Town Glee Club still maintains the convention of showcasing members in small
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Encore Creativity for Older Adults, the nation’s largest choral program for adults 55 and over, has announced the start of two Encore ensembles in New York. The Encore Chorale opens Monday, March 19, with rehearsals from 1 to 2:30 PM at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. Encore Rocks (a rock-n-roll chorus) opens Wednesday, March 21, with rehearsals from 1 to 2:30 PM at the New York Society for Ethical Culture. Encore is based in Washington, DC, where it runs fifteen Encore Chorales and six Encore Rocks choruses. Encore also has ensembles in Chicago, Denver, Pennsylvania, Ohio and California. Learn more at encorecreativity.org. (2018-1-11)
- Robert De Cormier, longtime director of The New York Choral Society and arranger for Harry Belafonte and Peter, Paul and Mary, has died. He was 95. Read about his life at The New York Times. (2017-11-13)
- Harold Rosenbaum's new book, A Practical Guide to Choral Conducting, is now available for ordering from the publisher. (2017-10-19)
- Read The New York Times review of the recent International Championship of A Cappella event at Carnegie Hall. (2017-9-29)
- Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church (CAPC), one of New Jersey’s most beautiful and historic churches, is pleased to announce the appointment of Deborah Simpkin King as its new Interim Director of Music. In addition, Dr. King will serve as the Artistic Director of the church-sponsored Crescent Concerts Series, a multi-disciplinary presentation of vocal, instrumental, choral and orchestral music events for the residents of Plainfield and the surrounding communities. (2017-8-13)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- January 15, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Chorale. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Rocks. Both groups, based in Manhattan, are offerings of Encore Creativity for Older Adults and are intended for singers 55 and older.
- November 29, 2017: New link for OPUS Tours, performance tour specialists to more than 40 countries.
- October 30, 2017: New Choir Directory listing for The Mark Howell Singers, a Gospel-focused group based in Manhattan.
- October 25, 2017: Major updates for choirs affiliated with New Jersey's Continuo Arts. The Continuo Arts Civic Chorale has become the Civic Chorale of New Jersey. The Continuo Arts Children's Chorus is now the Children's Choir of New Jersey. The Continous and The Continuo Arts Singers have combined to become the Youth Choir of New Jersey. And Seniors Sing! has joined the lineup. See the Choir Directory and Choir Auditions for updated information.
- October 10, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Reverb, a Manhattan-based a cappella ensemble.
- October 2, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Christ Church Riverdale Choir.
- September 28, 2017: New Choir Directory listing for the Vocal Workout Singing School, offering private and group lessons in Manhattan.
- September 18, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Parish Choir of the Church of St James the Less, based in Scarsdale.
- September 12, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Harbormen Chorus, a Suffolk County-based men's four-part harmony group.
- September 8, 2017: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Basilica Schola, based at the Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral in Soho.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.