There is no charge to have your text ad posted in the Info Exchange. Please include contact information (phone, e-mail, web) and an "expiration date" (if appropriate) for your posting. Vocal Area Network reserves the right to adjust expiration dates for ads. Unless requested otherwise, ads typically run for two months. Vocal Area Network reserves the right to edit ads for length and content (though our editing is done very gently). To supplement your text ad with a graphic VAN Ad banner ad, see our Advertising page.
See also the Choir Auditions page for ongoing audition ads from choirs.
Jobs at Chorus Connection
Do you speak choir geek?
Chorus Connection is searching for the ultimate choir nerds to join their team. Open positions include:
- Sales Development Representative: Put your passion for the arts, excellent communication skills, research savviness and OCD data management abilities to the test with our Sales Development Representative Role. Learn more about the position at www.chorusconnection.com/sales-development-representative.
- Content Creator: Help Chorus Connection create new and exciting content, such as blogs, ebooks and videos, for choral leaders across the world. Must have strong opinions on Oxford comma use and how to pronounce "GIF." Learn more about the position at www.chorusconnection.com/content-creator.
Posted 3/7/2018. Expires 5/7/2018.
New Rochelle Opera seeks male chorus members
New Rochelle Opera is seeking male chorus members for our spring production of La Bohème. Rehearsals Wednesday evenings in New Rochelle (rehearsals have already begun). No audition required. Some pay may be possible. Performances June 21-24, 2018 in New Rochelle. Please send e-mail of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 3/2/2018. Expires 4/30/2018.
Call for musicians: Make Some Noise 2018
Calling all musicians! Apply by March 9, 2018 to audition for Barnard College's and Summer on the Hudson’s fourth annual Make Some Noise festival celebrating women and music. For information, e-mail email@example.com or visit barnard.edu/events/call-musicians-make-some-noise-2018.
Posted 2/28/2018. Expires 3/11/2018.
Hard Rock Choir seeking five members
An unusual, fun and powerful special event choir for those singers who also love classic rock. All genders, ethnicities and vocal ranges welcome. No sight reading involved. Need to be able to belt a song, reliable and sincere. Available to rehearse in Redding, CT and play special event paying gigs in mid-Fairfield County and mostly in Manhattan on some weekends throughout the year. The group will be promoted with a video recording to be shot in Norwalk. Rehearsals are unpaid. Paying gigs we be split what we make evenly amongst six people which could range from around $600. to $2400.
E-mail me with samples of your voice singing the first verse and chorus of Neil Young’s song Rocking in the Free World. (Here is a YouTube reference: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxxdZpMFHg.) Sending me a smart phone selfie video is fine. If it’s bigger than 10megs I’ll send you a DropBox invitation. Thank you. Trace Burroughs, Choir Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 2/27/2018. Expires 4/27/2018.
FPCY Women's Choir seeks alto for April concert
FPCY Women's Choir is seeking an experienced alto section leader/soloist for a concert on Saturday, April 28 at 7:30 PM featuring Delibes's Messe Breve. A mandatory dress rehearsal will be April 27 from 3 to 5. Pay is $150-$200. The concert will be in Yorktown Heights, NY. Please e-mail director Simona Frenkel at email@example.com for more information.
Posted 2/26/2018. Expires 4/14/2018.
Upper Ridgewood Community Church seeks contralto and bass soloist/section leader
The Upper Ridgewood Community Church has a long-standing tradition of choral excellence, and seeks two accomplished musicians to serve as soloists and section leaders for the church’s Chancel Choir. URCC is conveniently located near the HoHoKus, NJ train station on NJ Transit’s Bergen/Main Line. Choir members are flexible and willing to assist colleagues with transportation to and from local mass transit. The Chancel Choir is a group of people who share a love of music and each other, and strive to deepen the worship experience of the congregation with their music.
Successful candidates will sing for weekly Sunday service, 9:15 AM-11:00 AM. Soloists also lead their respective sections in weekly rehearsals, which are held immediately after the Sunday service, from 11:15 AM to 12:30 PM. There are no additional rehearsals during the week. Soloists sing for 3-5 summer services as scheduled in advance by the Choir Director. Soloists also sing regularly as a quartet for services, during Communion and other sections of the service as scheduled by the Choir Director. Remuneration: $51.50 for rehearsals and $61.50 for services, for a total of $113 per week. There are occasional additional services for events such as, but not limited to, Good Friday and Christmas Eve. The choir’s recent repertoire has included works by J.S. Bach, G. F. Handel, Gabriel Fauré, John Rutter, Morten Lauridsen, Craig Courtney, Dan Forrest, Howard Helvey and a wide variety of others.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- a Bachelor of Arts in Vocal Performance or equivalent
- a vocal range of: F3 to F5 (contralto) or E2 to E4 (bass)
- strong sight-reading skills
- the ability to vocally blend with other musicians
- an interest in performing a wide variety of vocal/choral literature
- take responsibility for securing a qualified substitute in the event they must be absent from a service or rehearsal.
Posted 2/20/2018. Expires 4/20/2018.
Stamford Youth Chorus in formation
Stamford Music & Arts Academy is excited to announce the formation of the Stamford Youth Chorus! Girls and boys ages 7-18,who love music and singing are encouraged to audition. No prior choral experience is necessary to join our vocal music classes for kids.
Our choristers will have the opportunity to...
- Join one of our several children's and youth vocal ensembles, based on their age and experience.
- Study music with our exceptional faculty, dedicated to the development of each child's artistic potential in an encouraging, supportive environment.
- Sing outstanding choral repertoire with other talented young people, who share their passion for music and singing.
- Learn to sing, develop their voices, gain performance skills and experience.
- Acquire and expand musicianship and music reading skills.
- Perform with professional musicians, artists, choirs, and orchestras.
- Record at the tri-state area’s top recording studios.
- Sing songs of various genres and styles, in many different languages.
- Have fun singing, enjoy making music at a professional level.
- Make new friends and develop friendships that will last a lifetime.
- Serve the community through charitable performances and events.
Posted 2/14/2018. Expires 4/14/2018.
Taghkanic Chorale seeks music director
The Taghkanic Chorale -- now in its 51st year -- is a 40+ member, avocational chorus based in Westchester County, New York, 40 miles north of New York City. The Chorale is seeking a new Music Director to assume leadership from Steven Fox who, after serving admirably as maestro for over a decade, is taking up the music directorship of the Cathedral Choral Society at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, in October, 2018. Over the years, many Taghkanic Chorale maestros have distinguished musical careers and achievements beyond their affiliation with us.
The Chorale performs two programs a year, in Spring and Fall, two concerts each. We rehearse every Tuesday evening in Yorktown Heights, NY, and perform in church venues across Westchester. In addition we host an annual fundraising event called Music With A View -- a vocal recital featuring professional singers with a wine and hors d’oeuvres reception, held at beautiful venues in the lower Hudson Valley.
Our repertoire ranges across works of classical composers such as Bach, Brahms, Mozart, Handel, Fauré, Rossini and Rachmaninoff, as well as more contemporary music by Britten, Tavener and Pärt -- occasionally seasoned with early motets and American spirituals.
The Chorale is a 501c3 organization governed by a volunteer board of directors. The successful candidate will have:
- An advanced degree in music
- Experience with and demonstrated success in classical choral group conducting
- Ability to improve the singing capabilities of the Chorale as a whole over time
- Ability to create musical programs that Chorale members are excited to sing and audiences are eager to hear, while working effectively within our budget
- Ability to inspire and motivate singers to practice and perform at their best
- Good communication/chemistry with the Chorale’s board and membership
- The contacts and resources to provide accomplished outside soloists and instrumentalists for the choral performances and Music With A View (WMAV)
- Select music for the spring and fall seasons, with input from the TC Board
- Conduct rehearsals on Tuesday evenings at our venue in Yorktown, NY -- or arrange, on rare occasions, for capable stand-ins
- Conduct the TC in two concerts, two performances of each -- Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon -- in the Spring and the other in late Fall.
- Arrange for outside singers or instrumentalists needed for each performance
- Arrange for performers for the annual MWAV event. (Ability to perform personally is a plus.)
Posted 2/11/2018. Expires 3/11/2018.
Suffolk County church seeks singers for vocal ensemble
Small, friendly Episcopal church in Suffolk County, Long Island is currently looking for singers (all voice types) for newly formed vocal ensemble to sing once a month at their 10 AM service. Music to include spirituals, hymns and traditional and contemporary sacred selections. Seeking good singers interested in making beautiful music. Contact music director at Actionmacks@verizon.net.
Posted 2/5/2018. Expires 4/5/2018.
Gordon Appleton visits Englewood for workshop in May
Gordon Appleton, former president of the International Royal School of Church Music, will be in New Jersey on Saturday and Sunday, May 5 and 6.
On Saturday he will give a presentation/workshop on new anthems, rehearsal techniques and teaching in New Brunswick; lunch will follow, then he will offer a demonstration of teaching and conducting Anglican chant. We ask for a $10 donation per participant and everyone is welcome.
On Sunday, May 6 he will conduct an Evensong at St. Paul's Church, 113 Engle Street, Englewood. Rehearsal at 3, service at 5. Repertoire will include Herbert Howells's Coll Reg service, Craig Philips's accompanied Preces and Responses, and Philip Wilby's If ye love me. We ask for a $10 donation per singer, and ask that every singer come to the event having learned the repertoire. Adults and young choristers are welcome!
Gordon Appleton worked for the RSCM for over thirty years in several senior posts, directed RSCM Voices North, and played a key role in the development of church music in Australia, Jamaica, South Africa and Europe. Many of you have had the pleasure of singing under Gordon's fine leadership at St Bart's Choral Festival in NYC. For information, contact Mark Trautman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 1/31/2018. Expires 5/6/2018.
Stamford church seeks section leaders
The Fish Church (First Presbyterian) in Stamford is looking for three section leaders: mezzo-soprano, alto and tenor. We meet Wednesday evenings for rehearsal from 7:30 to 9:00 PM; Sunday morning rehearsal begins at 9:15 AM, with the service ending right about 11 AM.
The Fish Church choir has 30 members and is a relaxed, friendly group. We perform a wide variety of music types, leaning toward quality contemporary and established anglican composers, with some other styles such as jazz and spirituals as well. The principal goal of the section leaders is to help the volunteers learn their notes efficiently. We are constantly learning new music, so this role in promoting rapid learning is critical. Therefore, great sight reading is critical!
The organ is one of the finest in Fairfield County and the surrounding area: a four manual tracker pipe organ built by Visser-Rowland. We perform one major concert a year on Good Friday (March 30 this year) with large orchestra.
We are looking for singers who are able to blend well with the group as opposed to having a large, operatic vocal style. If this sounds like something you would be well-suited for, please respond and I will send you a written job description. Pay is $180/week and we are giving selection preference to students. Contact Steve Ketterer, Interim Director of Music, at email@example.com.
Posted 1/29/2018. Expires 3/29/2018.
New Amsterdam Singers seeks part-time manager
New Amsterdam Singers, a fifty-year-old, Upper West Side-based NYC avocational chorus, seeks a part-time manager experienced with performing arts or other non-profit organizations. The 70-plus-voice non-profit chorus (which includes a 24-voice chamber chorus) is governed by a board of directors and led by Music Director and Founder Clara Longstreth. The chorus performs three concert programs each year. The manager reports to the board and, as appropriate, to the music director, and is responsible for all aspects of running the chorus, including concert management and operations, publicity and bookkeeping. The manager is also expected to guide and support the marketing and development activities of the chorus, including managing and maintaining all its databases. Interested candidates can find the full position description and application procedures, as well as more information about New Amsterdam Singers, on our web site at www.nasingers.org.
Posted 1/29/2018. Expires 3/29/2018.
Cantigas Women's Choir seeks artistic director
Cantigas Women's Choir, based in Hoboken, NJ, seeks a new artistic director, to start in September 2018. For full info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 1/26/2018. Expires 3/26/2018.
Albany-area barbershop chorus seeks musical director
Capitaland Chorus in Albany, NY, is looking for a new musical director. Sadly, our wonderful director, Bill Stauffer, has recently stepped down due to increased family and work demands. Our Director Search Committee is looking for someone with energy, commitment and enthusiasm for barbershop singing to lead us into the future. Please contact email@example.com with your inquiry and resume. See more information about the group at www.capitalandchorus.org/.
Posted 1/17/2018. Expires 3/17/2018.