City Bar Chorus celebrates its 30th anniversary with gala concerts and mayoral proclamation
The 80-voice New York City Bar Chorus, directed by Kathryn E. Schneider and accompanied by Hon. Matthew V. Grieco, celebrated its 30th anniversary of serving the community with special concerts at the New York City Bar Association on November 9 and November 17, 2023.
Since 1993, the New York City Bar Chorus, an all-volunteer ensemble whose leaders and members are all legal professionals, has served as a goodwill ambassador of the New York City Bar Association, bringing the healing power of music to those who cannot easily access it. The Chorus has given more than 300 concerts at venues serving seniors, the visually impaired, people living with cancer and AIDS, those in substance abuse rehabilitation, and more.
Musica Viva offers Crimson Roses on December 3
Hailed as "a treasured institution" by Front Row Center, Musica Viva
NY highlights one of its most important missions: the commissioning of new
works. On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 5:00 PM at All Souls on the Upper East
Side, 30+ singers and orchestra perform gorgeous music by three living American
composers: Joseph Turrin, Gilda Lyons and Richard Einhorn. This performance is
part of a journey that will culminate in an ambitious professional recording
(Naxos, TBR 2024) of the pieces presented on this program. Making her Musica
Viva NY debut is mezzo-soprano Frederica von Stade, just prior to her 2024
induction to OPERA America’s Opera Hall of Fame.
“Musica Viva NY is looking forward to giving fans a sneak peek of our
forthcoming album, the first we’ve recorded during my tenure” says Alejandro
Hernandez-Valdez, conductor/artistic director of Musica Viva NY. “And, we
couldn’t be more excited to welcome our special guest, the legendary singer
Frederica von Stade. What a thrilling way to end the year!”
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The West Side Rag has a story about the Peace of Heart Choir and how they bring their music to shelters, senior centers, community center and hospitals. (2023-12-1)
- See the extensive write-up in The New York Times about the MasterVoices production of The Frogs. (2023-11-14)
- Essential Voices USA announces the release of Christmas Joy, a new collection of recently-commissioned holiday music. The recording features an arrangement for chorus and string quartet by Josh Clayton and music director Judith Clurman of familiar carols, along with works by Pierre Jalbert and Bill Cutter. The recording on Albany (Troy 1955) can be streamed on all platforms. The published scores will be available in 2024. (2023-10-30)
- View the Canticum Novum Singers' final concert after 50 seasons, a performance of Bach's Mass in B Minor from May 13, for $15 at canticumnovum.in.live/show/details/harold_rosenbaum_tag. (2023-5-31)
- Nice write-up in The New York Times about Steven Fox and and the Clarion Choir's upcoming performances of Rachmaninoff's All-Night Vigil. (2023-5-3)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- November 22, 2023: New Choir Directory listing
for the St. Agnes Church Schola Cantorum. New Choir Directory listing
for the St. Agnes Church Parish Choir.
- November 15, 2023: New link for Music Industry How To, helping musicians, music industry professionals and music lovers learn aspects of the music industry.
- November 14, 2023: New link for Le Chant des Oyseaux, offering summer (and other) choral workshops in France.
- October 3, 2023: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Goro, a one-on-a-part Renaissance vocal ensemble based in Freeport, NY.
- September 26, 2023: We believe that we have restored the Concert Calendar New Listing form to proper functioning. (It had been the only casualty of our move to a new web hosting provider a few weeks ago.) If you run into issues using it, though, please let Steve Friedman know.
- September 15, 2023: Eagle-eyed observers of the bottom of the VAN home page may have noticed the disappearance of the banner thanking Panix for hosting this website. As of September 8, VAN has moved to another hosting service. We are grateful to Panix for its past support.
- September 6, 2023: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the St. Luke's Community Choir in Katonah, NY, directed by Harold Rosenbaum.
- August 10, 2023: New Choir Auditions ad for The Brasiles Ensemble
- June 26, 2023: New Choir Directory listing for Cappella Festiva Cor Capriccio Children's Choir, a non-auditioned group for ages 7-11 in Poughkeepsie, NY.
- May 15, 2023: New links for OPERA America and its OPERA America's National Opera Center, offering rehearsal spaces for choruses, ensembles and individuals.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Learn ear training, theory and ensemble skills at the Lucy Moses School’s acclaimed
Sight-Singing program. Taught by Liz Fleisher, hailed as “one of New York’s great teachers” (New York Magazine)
and “a teacher who gets results” (New York Times), classes for
all skill levels help singers learn to read music for the first time or
refine their skills. These classes are for soloists, choral singers and
everyone who loves to sing. Learn more and register online at
contact us at 212-501-3360 or
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Members
who have contributed during the past twelve months:
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Members:
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.