Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Ron DeFesi is the new musical director of The Warwick Valley Chorale. (2023-1-7)
- James John artistic director of Cerddorion, leads "Pilgrimage" as part of Make Music Winter on Wednesday, December 21. Headlamp-clad singers will walk a route along Riverside Park making stops at the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument and other landmarks to sing medieval melodies once sung on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. For details, visit makemusicny.org/2022-make-music-winter-schedule/pilgrimage. (2022-12-14)
- ALERT: Some nefarious party purporting to be Vocal Area Network is again sending e-mail solicitions "requesting gift card donations to assist Veterans at hospice care." This is a known scam of the gift card variety. Please discard these e-mails and report the actual sender to the appropriate authorities if you can. One such place is the FTC's fraud reporting site at reportfraud.ftc.gov/. These e-mails are from neither Steve Friedman nor Vocal Area Network. (2022-9-27)
- New York City’s longest-running early music series Music Before 1800 has introduced Bill Barclay as its first-ever Artistic Director. As founder Louise Basbas transitions from executive director to board president, Barclay takes on artistic responsibilities immediately. (2022-9-20)
- The Western Wind has announced three new members of the ensemble: bass Paul Greene-Dennis, soprano Christina Kay and tenor Bradley King. (2022-9-7)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- January 16, 2023: New Choir Directory listing for the Washington Heights Community Choir, a no-audition choir in upper Manhattan.
- December 15, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the St. John's Choir, a semi-pro church choir in Somerville, NJ directed by Mark Trautman.
- December 4, 2022: New link for New York Theatre Guide.
- November 30, 2022: We've done some culling of the elements on the home page, mainly to remove links to sites that are no longer extant or useful.
- October 17, 2022: New link for Skillshare, offering online classes in music and other endeavors.
- September 20, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the West End Community Choir, a new choir based on the Upper West Side.
- September 10, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Old Mill Singers, a community chorus based in Ossining, NY.
- July 25, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Larchmont Madrigals, a newly-formed group in Larchmont, NY.
- July 15, 2022: In the interest of more secure web-browsing, all visitors to Vocal Area Network will now be redirected to the https:// version of the site.
- June 1, 2022: We've cleaned up some listings in the Choir Directory. Thanks to Merve Ciplak for identifying a handful of ensembles that are no longer active.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Learn ear training, theory and ensemble skills at the Lucy Moses School’s acclaimed
Sight-Singing program. Taught by Liz Fleisher, hailed as “one of New York’s great teachers” (New York Magazine)
and “a teacher who gets results” (New York Times), classes for
all skill levels help singers learn to read music for the first time or
refine their skills. These classes are for soloists, choral singers and
everyone who loves to sing. Learn more and register online at
contact us at 212-501-3360 or
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Members
who have contributed during the past twelve months:
Cantori New York (Silver)
Chelsea Song (Silver)
Florilegium Chamber Choir (Silver)
Glen Ridge Choral Society
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers (Silver)
New York City Community Chorus at Holy Apostles
Renaissance Street Singers
Voices of New York
Ms. Marie Caruso
Mr. John Hetland
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Members:
Mark & Cindy Allen; Americas Vocal Ensemble; AmorArtis; Amuse; The Babylon Chorale; Meredith Elaine Baker; Mr. Jeffrey Becker; Big Apple Chorus; The Brooklyn Community Chorus; Brooklyn Contempoary Chorus; Brooklyn Philharmonia Chorus; Mr. Bruce Bush; C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective; Mary Ellen Callahan; The Canby Singers; Cantabile Chamber Chorale; Cantori New York; Ms. Marie Caruso; Cerddorion; Chelsea Song; Choral Chameleon; Chorus 802; Christ Church Choir; Ms. Phyllis Clark; Ms. Jean Cooper; Dalton Chorale; Mark Davies; The Dessoff Choirs; Douglas Frank Chorale; Down Town Glee Club; Jack Eppler; Anonymous; Martha Fleischman; Florilegium Chamber Choir; Mr. Albert L. Friedman; Ms. Robin Lynne Frye; Ms. Susan Gardiner; Mr. Gary Giardina; Mr. John Daly Goodwin; Grace Church Choral Society; Greater Nassau Chorus; Greenwich Village Chamber Singers; Mr. John Hetland; Ms. Christine Hoffman; Holy Apostles Community Chorus; Ms. Mary Homan; Jennifer Howald; Hudson Valley Singers; Mr. Steve Lanser; Ms. Grace Lee, New York Choral Society; Mr. Robert Mobsby; John Morariu; Ms. Barbara E. Morgan; Mr. Robert Murtha; Anonymous; New Amsterdam Singers; The New Choral Society; New York Choral Society; New York City Community Chorus at Holy Apostles; Mr. Roger Nierenberg; Nikolai Kachanov Singers; North River Sing; Mr. Gerald Osterberg; Mr. Robert Pace; Ms. Nancianne Parrella; The Peace of Heart Choir; Renaissance Street Singers; Renaissance Vocal Ensemble; Mr. Stephen Ringlee; Riverdale Choral Society; Riverside Choral Society; Mr. Jacques Rizzo; Russian Chamber Chorus of New York; Ms. Sharon Lee Ryder; The Sacred Music Chorale of Richmond Hill, NY; Sacrum Convivium; The St. Cecilia Chorus; St. George's Choral Society; St. James' Compostela Choir; St. Paul's Church; Schola Cantorum on Hudson; Mr. Neal Siegal; Mr. Frederick Siegmund; Sing We Enchanted; The Stonewall Chorale; Teaneck Community Chorus; Nancy Tooney; Anonymous; Uncommon Chord; Mr. Dayle Vander Sande, The Aria Chorus; Ms. Judith Vincent; Voices of New York; Mr. Laurence Weller; The West Village Chorale; Women Singing; Matthew Workman; Ms. Wendy Zuckerman, in memory of Nancy Poor
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.