Musica Viva NY offers a light-inspired concert
On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM, Musica Viva NY, one of New York City's leading chamber choirs, presents "Lux Aeterna" at All Souls Church, 1157 Lexington Avenue on the Upper East Side. In this concert, Musica Viva NY, known for its well-balanced and eclectic programming, elicits the spiritual and transformational power of eternal light through music. The program includes six radiant pieces such as the revelatory Lux Aeterna by Morten Lauridsen and the world premiere of The Luminous Ground by Richard Einhorn, a piece commissioned by Musica Viva NY.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Nice write-up in The New York Times about Steven Fox and and the Clarion Choir's upcoming performances of Rachmaninoff's All-Night Vigil. (2023-5-3)
- Legislators in New York City have passed a law requiring retailers -- including concert venues -- to show the full price of tickets, with all fees included up front. For details, see gothamist.com/news/nyc-is-getting-rid-of-surprise-add-on-fees-in-ticket-prices. (2023-4-13)
- New York Opera Alliance (NYOA), with support from OPERA America, has announced NYOANext, a new citywide opera series spotlighting local artists and companies in each of New York's five boroughs. The initiative begins with a spotlight on the Bronx with a three-day festival April 20, 22 and 23, 2023, celebrating the borough's vibrant and varied opera community. Opera companies from around the five boroughs, including the 56-year old Bronx Opera, will perform in the Bronx with local artists from the neighborhood. For details, visit NYoperaalliance.org. (2023-3-3)
- New recordings! Dessoff has released its world-premiere recording of Credo and Simon Bore the Cross, two cantatas by 20th-centtury African American composer Margaret Bonds. The recording, with full orchestra, is conducted by Malcolm J. Merriweather and features soprano Janinah Burnett and bass-baritone Dashon Burton. To listen and purchase, visit orcd.co/av2589. And Zulal, an a cappella trio of Armenian-American women, has released its fourth album, By the Shepherd's Clock. Visit linktr.ee/zulaltrio for more information. (2023-2-15)
- Join the New York Choral Consortium for its annual Membership Day on Saturday, February 11 from 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church. For details and to regsiter, visit www.newyorkchoralconsortium.org/events-dormant. (2023-2-3)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
NEW ON VAN
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- May 15, 2023: New links for OPERA America and its OPERA America's National Opera Center, offering rehearsal spaces for choruses, ensembles and individuals.
- February 14, 2023: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the New York Gregorian Chant Project.
- January 16, 2023: New Choir Directory listing for the Washington Heights Community Choir, a no-audition choir in upper Manhattan.
- December 15, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the St. John's Choir, a semi-pro church choir in Somerville, NJ directed by Mark Trautman.
- December 4, 2022: New link for New York Theatre Guide.
- November 30, 2022: We've done some culling of the elements on the home page, mainly to remove links to sites that are no longer extant or useful.
- October 17, 2022: New link for Skillshare, offering online classes in music and other endeavors.
- September 20, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the West End Community Choir, a new choir based on the Upper West Side.
- September 10, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Old Mill Singers, a community chorus based in Ossining, NY.
- July 25, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Larchmont Madrigals, a newly-formed group in Larchmont, NY.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Learn ear training, theory and ensemble skills at the Lucy Moses School’s acclaimed
Sight-Singing program. Taught by Liz Fleisher, hailed as “one of New York’s great teachers” (New York Magazine)
and “a teacher who gets results” (New York Times), classes for
all skill levels help singers learn to read music for the first time or
refine their skills. These classes are for soloists, choral singers and
everyone who loves to sing. Learn more and register online at
contact us at 212-501-3360 or
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Members
who have contributed during the past twelve months:
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Members:
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.